Porting the intakes?

KyleH

Registered
The upper elbows (or plenum I guess, not sure what its called)on our motors looks pretty easy to port and polish. Has anyone ever tried it? Did you gain any HP from it at all?

Has anyone ever ported or polished the lower? I would imaginge it'd be pretty hard an expensive and might even approach the cost of the "race manifolds" available for the cobra.

RE: Porting the intakes?

[div class="dcquote"][strong]Quote[/strong]
The upper elbows (or plenum I guess, not sure what its called)on our motors looks pretty easy to port and polish. Has anyone ever tried it? Did you gain any HP from it at all?Has anyone ever ported or polished the lower? I would imaginge it'd be pretty hard an expensive and might even approach the cost of the "race manifolds" available for the cobra.
[/div]

From some other post I read, the 1st gens don't gain much because they are already pretty good, but the 2nd gens gain more...not sure how much either way.

It's not even worth porting the second gen intake, just buy a cobra intake.

first gen may be worth working on, not sure.

Ive got a fully ported and gasket matched gen1 intake sitting in the shop. IMRCS have also been deleted.

shootme an ofer.

Mike

I am studying to be a machininst (well acutally a mechanical engineer, this is just 4 fun on free-2-me tax dollars. Horray for your money!) and am attending mid florida tech. I would probably CNC port the heads and intake next year once I get to use the machines and get better with CAD.

Someone will probably be interested in this though.

The 2nd gen intake manifold doesn't seem to be that big of a restriction once the engine is boosted. Look at Burbank's 98 LSC running 11's with the stock gen 2 intake. He is going to put on a Cobra intake soon but with headers at the same time... I wish he could just do the intake first to see how much it helps...

If its not 2 expensive I will be putting on a set of long tubes when the k member is lowered for the oil pan. I picked up a set of Flowtechs for $100 but I will probably spend about that getting them on :p

Back