GM to halt production of remade Pontiac GTO

Last Mrk

Charter Member
Paid Member
Automaker blames high cost of retooling V-8 muscle car to meet new air bag rules.
Dee-Ann Durbin / Associated Press

DETROIT -- General Motors Corp . said Tuesday it will end production of the Pontiac GTO this summer.

The last high-performance GTO, which is made in Elizabeth, Australia, will roll off the line in June and hit the U.S. market in late July or August, Pontiac spokesman Jim Hopson said.
The iconic muscle car traces its roots to 1964, when the first GTO hit the market. The GTO went through seven body styles before it was discontinued in 1974, Hopson said. After a 30-year hiatus, the GTO was revived as an all-new 2004 vehicle.

The current GTO has a 400-horsepower, six-liter V-8 engine and accelerates from 0 to 60 mph in six seconds. It starts at $31,990.

Hopson said GM decided to phase out the GTO for several reasons. A new U.S. air bag regulation was going to require a substantial redesign of the instrument panel, he said. Also, the GTO's Australian-designed architecture is being phased out worldwide in favor of a new platform.

GTO sales also have been tapering off. GM sold 11,590 GTOs in 2005, down 14 percent from the year before. In January, year-over-year sales were down 33 percent.

RE: GM to halt production of remade Pontiac GTO

[div class="dcquote"][strong]Quote[/strong]
Automaker blames high cost of retooling V-8 muscle car to meet new air bag rules.Dee-Ann Durbin / Associated PressDETROIT -- General Motors Corp . said Tuesday it will end production of the Pontiac GTO this summer.The last high-performance GTO, which is made in Elizabeth, Australia, will roll off the line in June and hit the U.S. market in late July or August, Pontiac spokesman Jim Hopson said.The iconic muscle car traces its roots to 1964, when the first GTO hit the market. The GTO went through seven body styles before it was discontinued in 1974, Hopson said. After a 30-year hiatus, the GTO was revived as an all-new 2004 vehicle.The current GTO has a 400-horsepower, six-liter V-8 engine and accelerates from 0 to 60 mph in six seconds. It starts at $31,990.Hopson said GM decided to phase out the GTO for several reasons. A new U.S. air bag regulation was going to require a substantial redesign of the instrument panel, he said. Also, the GTO's Australian-designed architecture is being phased out worldwide in favor of a new platform.GTO sales also have been tapering off. GM sold 11,590 GTOs in 2005, down 14 percent from the year before. In January, year-over-year sales were down 33 percent.[/div]

Good...one less wannabee muscle car. Yeah it's fast, but it looks as burly as an Integra. They need to learn from the Mustang and Charger. Now those are muscle cars!

I was never happy with the exterior styling on the new GTO.

That car did have one of the most boring exteriors ever.

Nice car underneath though.

Alexander
Board of Directors
Lincolns of Distinction

[div class="dcquote"][strong]Quote[/strong]
That car did have one of the most boring exteriors ever.Nice car underneath though.AlexanderBoard of Directors Lincolns of Distinction
[/div]

The interior was very nice, to bad the exterior did not match.

Awww thats too bad. I really like the GTO's after they re-did the rear end. Sure, its not as pretty as the Mark VIII, but it is a 2 door with a V-8 and killer interior with a stick. I think they nailed the nose dead on. Very clean but lost interest as they got to the rear. I'd definatley own one. It's that price there commanding and making payments again that keep me at bay.

I wonder what the Trans Am is gonna look like. You know there going to do it someday. One is waiting in the back of a dusty floor warehouse with an old tattered canvas tarp draped over it. Glistening black paint can be seen peeking out from under rear corner of cover along with 1979 splitter chrome tailpipes. It has a single spotlight cascading down upon its roof. Dust can be seen dancing in golden orange beam. The car crackles to life with the idle of a nascar engine. Underneath the tarp the car is violently rocking back and forth as only a severe cam can produce. The light bulb flickers with a buzzing electric crackle and slowly fades out. An eagle cries out,, all is black. In red glowing letters fades in on bottom of screen. "The world is not ready yet" and slowly fades out to black with the howling wind of a lonley valley scattering dried leaves about.

Yes it does exist... in side my head. Of course GM can pay me for it. I have seen the future and will tell all. }(

1995 DK Blue Lincoln Mark VIII
1998 DK Blue Chevrolet 1500 P/U
2004 BLACK/Silver HONDA CBR 600RR

If I were to buy a new car to replace the Mark VIII, it would be a GTO. Two door, V-8, RWD, IRS, intermediate size, great interior and styling that flies under the radar - sounds like a good Mark VIII replacement to me :)

Back